Media Release 22 March, 2023
Papua New Guinea-Australia Partnership helping to empower women with education and economic opportunities
On PNG Women’s Day (24 March), we are highlighting how Incentive Fund is contributing towards empowering women across PNG.
Through Incentive Fund Phase IV, the Papua New Guinea Australia Partnership is supporting women across PNG to access economic and education opportunities and participate equally in all aspects of society.
Across all Incentive Fund projects, 80% of projects are empowering women and girls. Since 2015, Incentive Fund has:
- Provided livelihoods and sanitation training for over 3000 women
- Worked with 17 partner organisations to improve how they include and work with women and girls, and people with disability
- Upgraded or built facilities at schools, universities and other education institutions to improve quality, safety and security for women and girls accessing education, including constructing 388 new beds in female student dormitories
- Renovated 3 hospitals to provide better maternity and women's healthcare, covering a service catchment area of nearly 400,000 people
- Constructed 1 new women's resource centre and 1 new early childhood centre
- Provided new water, sanitation, and hygiene facilities to over 7600 women
We are proud to work with our partner organisations all over PNG to create opportunities for women and girls and set a better foundation for the future.